Location: Central Reading
Circa £25k + VAT
Our clients are a young retired couple, who also have a house on the Isle of Skye. Key requirements for the project were as follows:
- Contemporary design, bringing the outside in through the recently added extension/bi fold doors (and patio to be flush with these)
- Maximise light and space, but also create a sense of flow and privacy
- Simple low maintenance scheme – the clients are away for months at a time (they spend the summer on Skye) – with garden planting to look its best in autumn / winter / spring
- Eliminate the grass – front and back
Key features of the design:
- Manipulation of levels
- Open plan lounge flowing into garden / patio
- Lots of sitting areas
- Bespoke cladding at boundaries (installed by client) to unify the boundaries and conceal ugly garage
- Lightweight pergola with wires to get height into the scheme but without being too heavy
- Ramped paths to side of house to allow easy step to back door and easy manoeuvring of bins
- Low maintenance gravel garden in front garden, with a strong, almost symmetrical design – arc’ed paths adding structure and also a means of access for postman, binman etc.
- Planting to maximise interest when the clients are there and especially to give them a wow when they return from Skye in the autumn.